There is nothing more powerful than love. And to teach our children the power and value of compassion is to give them a gift for life that grows the more they share it.
I believe this to be true because as mothers, we are driven by our highest purpose.
Motherhood is not a job. It is a calling and being a calling it is informed by something Greater.
There’s a simple exercise that I shared with my daughter when she faced a challenging situation at school with one of her teachers.
Basically, here is what the exercise was all about:
- Become really still, and quiet your mind.
- Put your attention on your heart and feel compassion.
- If it’s difficult to feel compassion for the person that is challenging you, then feel compassion for anything you love like your pet dog, for example.
- While holding that feeling in your heart, visualize the energy of that feeling in a bubble surrounding the challenge you are facing.
- Know, that no one is born wanting to be mean. That maybe something, somewhere along the way, forced them in that direction and, feeling compassion towards them, gives them permission to remember who they really are. They might just start returning the compassion.
- Expect nothing.
- Just practice until it becomes easy to do.
My daughter (a teenager) rolled her eyes at me when I first introduced the idea but I guess when she was faced with no other alternatives she must have tried it because a week later, in passing, she said: “You know that exercise you told me to do? It worked”.